Splitboard Intro Week
The first ever rudechalets™ Splitboard Intro Week in Chamonix last season was epic! The week was fully booked so don’t miss out for winter 2014. Dates are 30th March – 6th April 2014. 2013 Splitboard Intro edit to follow so watch this space!
Due to the recent advancements in splitboard technology remote backcountry terrain is now accessible to both snowboarders and skiers alike. For winter 2013 rudechalets™ have partnered with a top IFMGA mountain guide to put together an exciting Splitboard Intro Week in Chamonix - one of the world’s most revered and well-respected freeride destinations.
So, if you love riding powder, want to push your snowboarding to another level and experience some breath-taking backcountry terrain then you've definitely got to give split boarding a go! The rudechalets™ Splitboard Intro Week gives competent snowboarders the chance to learn to ride a Splitboard, study mountain safety and make some awe-inspiring descents at a price point which will not break the bank.
Your instructor and high mountain guide for the week will be Lars Vanhaelewyck - a Belgian snowboarding legend who has been shredding the Chamonix backcountry for the last 20 years. Lars is an internationally qualified IFMGA guide meaning he is at the top of his game. He has summited Mont Blanc several times and can teach everything from back country safety through to crevasse rescue.
Price: £1499 per person per week which includes
- 5 x full days with a backcountry mountain guide (max group size 6)
- Rental of splitboard, bindings & skins
- 6 x day Mont Blanc Unlimited lift pass
- 7 x nights fully catered ensuite accommodation in Chalet Superfly 2
- Cooked and continental breakfast, packed lunch, afternoon tea, sparkling wine canapes & 4 course evening meal (6 nights)
- Return airport transfers from Geneva
- In-resort transport to / from the slopes
Dates: 30th March - 6th April 2014
Day 1 Sunday: Arrival day
Day 2 Monday: Mountain warm up day - limber up and find your feet for the week ahead.
Day 3 Tuesday: First day on the splitty!
- Intro to the kit - How the boards and bindings move between a board and skis; Attaching / detaching skins.
- Avalanche rescue workshop - learn how to use transceivers, probe and shovel. Demonstrations and practicing search and recovery techniques - all vital skills you need to have to enjoy the back country.
- Glacier training - where you will experience 1st hand (and safely!) what it is like to be in a crevasse as each person will spend time in a crevasse and practice self-rescue techniques. You also learn invaluable lessons about how crevasses work, snow bridges and how to spot when you may be either on or close to a crevasse.
By the end of this first day you should feel well informed on the use of the kit that you will be using and have new found back country skills.
Day 4 Wednesday: First tour in the valley, armed with all the new found knowledge and skills it's off to locate some secret powder stashes that can't be found from the lifts. You will get to practice some more of the vital skills needed to tour including the technique of kick turns which are needed as terrain steepens.
Day 5, 6 & 7 Thursday - Saturday: Each day you will use your split boards to explore a different part of the amazing Chamonix backcountry, as the groups skill, confidence and fitness grows we will make bigger, higher and steeper tours accessing some of the most amazing terrain the valley has to offer. One of the highlights will be the Col de Passon - a 2.5 hour uphill trek followed by an epic 3000m descent!